Associate Principal Scientist, Mass Spectrometry - AstraZeneca, Macclesfield
Date Posted: 26/05/18
End date for submission of applications: 22/06/18
AstraZeneca is a major international healthcare business engaged in the research, development, manufacture and marketing of prescription pharmaceutical and the supply of healthcare services. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) are the bridge, which turns brilliant science into actual medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled up for commercial manufacture.
We are currently recruiting for an Associate Principal Scientist in Mass Spectrometry to join our analytical sciences group within Chemical Development, who are dedicated to the development of clinical and commercial active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) at AstraZeneca across a range of small and large molecules.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Proactive delivery of the mass spectrometry activities for (i) the effective drug project delivery for traditional small molecules and (ii) the development of mass spectrometry for an increasing range of novel molecular entities (peptides, oligonucleotides and polymeric materials).
- Development of the mass spectrometry capability for Chemical Development and other key partner functions at Macclesfield and across the AstraZeneca/MedImmune organisation.
- To provide expert challenge to drug projects and role model positive behaviours in exploring new ways of working and scientific development.
- To provide scientific/technical leadership across the skill groups in resolving risks, identifying learning to share across the department and deliver regulatory submission.
- Coaching and developing colleagues, supporting them in reaching their full potential.
- Identifying and solving potential issues, and acting as an interface between departments.
- Contributing to the development of Chemical Development to support AstraZeneca/MedImmune current and future portfolio, defining, and delivering continuous improvement plans.
- Ensuring that work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
All these activities will have a significant impact on the speed, quality and cost of the AstraZeneca commercial portfolio, the overall success of the Supply Chain as well as ensuring the commercial viability of the medicine. The role, therefore, has a significant impact on both financial and reputational aspects of the business and scientific leadership.
- PhD/BSc level education in mass spectrometry, analytical sciences, chemistry or other relevant discipline and a significant number of years’ experience in a specialist mass spectrometry role within any industry.
- The role holder will have significant experience as a specialist in mass spectrometry, employing a variety of instrument types and ionisation techniques and demonstrating their application in multiple areas (for example small molecules, peptides, oligonucleotides and polymeric materials).
- The ability to identify and implement new mass spectrometry technology and demonstrate the impact on drug projects and the value of investment.
- Develop the skills of the broader mass spectrometry user community with both current and future mass spectrometry technology.
- Recognised externally as an individual working at the forefront of mass spectrometry.
- A strong track record in the development and delivery of mass spectrometry based external collaborations with both academic and technology partners, that can be focussed to tackle key measurement challenges within AstraZeneca/MedImmune.
- The ability to demonstrate scientific leadership through internal and external presentations and peer reviewed publications.
- Experience of technical supervision, coaching and mentoring or leading small teams of people or scientific projects.
- The ability to tackle complex scientific problems.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder skills, and the ability to discuss complex ideas in a simple, easy to understand way to wide groups of stakeholders.
Skills and capabilities:
- Deliver the mass spectrometry contribution and capability to support the drug project portfolio in Chemical Development and the broader Pharmaceutical Technology and Development and Pharmaceutical Sciences organisations at Macclesfield and more broadly across the business.
- Excellent interpretation skills for a range of mass spectrometry data types.
- Ability to think and operate across functional boundaries, challenge the status quo and seek opportunities for business improvement.
- The role holder will work across both specialist and project teams.
- Coach and mentor all mass spectrometry users (which will include analytical and organic chemists and individuals from other scientific backgrounds from across Pharmaceutical Technology and Development and Pharmaceutical Sciences functions).
- Develop and deliver mass spectrometry training courses.
- Accountable for the maintenance of instrumentation to ensure high quality data.
- Active leadership in mass spectrometry both locally and globally within and external to AstraZeneca/MedImmune.
- Embed new technology and ensure its impactful use to deliver drug projects.
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex situations and provide clear strategic direction.
- Excellent communication and strategic influencing skills across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally.
- Proven problem solver with in depth technical skills.
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal credibility and end to end supply chain thinking.
Please note applications must include your current CV and a covering letter which presents your your key areas of strength / development and why you should be considered for the role.
Competitive Salary & Benefits.
Please apply through the website: https://job-search.astrazeneca.com